First Aid – An Introduction
Definition of First Aid:
The initial assistance or treatment given to a casualty for any injury or sudden illness before the arrival of an ambulance, doctor or other qualified person.
Aim of First Aid:
• To preserve life
• Limit the effects of the condition
• Promote recovery
Responsibilities of the First Aider:
• To assess quickly and safely and summon help
• To identify as far as possible what is affecting the casualty
• To give early, appropriate and adequate treatment in a sensible order of priority
• First Aid is not an exact science and is therefore open to human error and circumstances beyond our control.
• Some conditions can lead to death – even in the best hands.
DO YOU BEST AND WHAT YOU BELIEVE TO BE CORRECT
SUMMONING HELP IS AS IMPORTANT A PART OF FIRST AID AS GIVING CARE